Wednesday, September 19, 2007

With "Ifs" and ant could carry an elephant (Christine Porcaro, Week 6, Substantive)

After reading this week’s assignments I feel as if a game of charades could have described regional integration more clearly and efficiently than the actual readings themselves. Page after page left me asking, “Where the hell did these independent and dependant variables come from?” and “Why do all these theories seem to just to present a bunch of “ifs” that in the end if they aren’t perfectly aligned, everything will just lead to failure?” I mean really with “ifs” an ant could carry an elephant. When describing the Communication’s Approach Haas shows how this theory is stated, “If the rate of transactions is such and so, under conditions of balanced loads and capabilities, then elite responsiveness increases. If elite responsiveness increases then a security community will arise…” It just seems to me that this set up is weak. I never got the feeling that these theories can hold any water. There are examples of regional integration being a success (i.e. the European Union) but after reading this assignment I almost lost hope of there being more successes like it. Maybe it was in the way that it was presented. I just felt that every page was just filled with words that left me more confused than I began. After class on Tuesday I was able to see more clearly the distinction between Neo-Functionalism and Functionalism. I would just expect a scholar such as Haas to be able to present the material in a way that left the reader with more understanding of a topic that even he himself says is easily confused with other such topics as regional cooperation, regional organizations, regional systems, regional subsystems and regionalism. It just really sucks reading material and then finishing it and wondering what exactly the point of the readings were.

1 comment:

bcb210 said...

I agree. Regional Integration, for me, seems to be theory just for theory's sake. With the same number of circumstances falling into place, one could argue many other things with just as much backing. For instance, if there was finally a giant war in the Middle East, everyone would get involved, because of oil conflicts, nuclear war would insue and human civilization would cease to exist. Though that is a stretch, it's how I am percieving some of these theories. If under the exact right circumstances everyone became completely invested int he markets, forgot the basis of hundreds of years of wars, and all integrated for economic efficency, then the world would be regionally integrated. I feel like these writers should have a bit more realistic insite before developing theories like this.