Tuesday, November 6, 2007

"The inability to pursue well-being" (Christine Porcaro, Week 10?, substantive)

In my opinion globalization is a very hard topic to talk about. I say this because I know that when I view globalization it is very hard not to view it through a "Westerner's" point of view. Yes I can try to understand how globalization affects the Global South and such, but I feel that since many people in the Global North have experienced globalization in such a positive way that a full understanding of the pros and cons of globalization is really hard to truly comprehend. After reading the article, Globalization and Inequality; a Plea for Global Justice by Fred R. Dallmayr, it reminded me of how even though it seems we have an understanding of the inequality that globalization has perpetuated, I still do not feel that the Global North fully comprehends or really wants to. Towards the end of the article, Dallmayr starts to talk about a man by the name of Amartya Sen. Sen explains the concept of poverty as not just invoking a "low well- being," but rather "the inability to pursue well being." When I read this I thought about or discussion in class when people were talking about multinational cooperations placing factories and such in other countries that help provide jobs that pay better than other jobs that they might have had originally offered to them. While at first I agreed that maybe the amount payed and the type of jobs created do not seem like great opportunities in the eyes of the Global North but for the people in the Global South this seems like a greater and better opportunity than they had before. After reading what Sen had wrote I realized why I was so unsettled by just accepting this fact. It seems that globalization might be creating these new job opportunities but I still feel that these jobs create an "inability to pursue well-being". People that are left to work in these factories are never given the same oppotunity as a person from the Global North and it seems that globalization is going to keep it that way. While these multinational cooperations are creating these jobs, people from the Global South are never allowed to pursue their own vision of well-being, just well-being presented to them by the Global North. Yes these cooperations might be bringing these people more money but they are not given the opportunity to become a bigger part in globalization. They are really just exploited for the benefit of the elite. I know that this cannot be fixed in a day but I still feel that there needs to be more emphasis on educating people and allowing them more opportunities than just working in a sweatshop for twelve hours a day. They may be making a better living, but is this the best that globalization can offer or is this just the least common denominator that will keep the Global South satisfied?

No comments: