Friday, November 2, 2007

Poverty Discussion, Response, Week 9

I came out of our discussion last class having a very different viewpoint than when I entered. Like most people, I am of course in favor of helping out those who are less fortunate around the world. I hadn't given much though before last class though about the idea of benefiting from donating to charity, via rock concerts or wrist bands. Having worked at a bicycle shop, I would frequently see customers pass up the opportunity to donate to cancer when we didn't have the livestrong bracelets available. At my high school, I would constantly be asked when my store was getting bracelets in, yet not one person would ever just put money in for the cause the bracelets were raising money for. This could be thought of in two different ways. My initial reaction was that the money for the bracelets could be counted as additional money for cancer that never would've been donated without the bracelets. My reaction yesterday was sorrow for the very fact that people no longer donate to help others, but rather to help themselves.

No comments: