Friday, November 30, 2007

relations among science and politics (Christine Porcaro, Week 14, Reflective)

I believe that science and politics do mix and they should. I mean if science is trying to figure out how the world works/is and politics is looking at what the world should be, it seems to me that they need each other. I guess more specifically, politics needs science. Science promotes understanding of the world. For politics to work more successfully I think that it would be beneficial to understand how the world works. What shouldn't be done, is use politics has science. Trying to understand the world by having a preconceived notion of how it should be would give faulty results on how the world actually is which could be dangerous. I guess what I am saying is that politics and science cannot remain separate. We just have to make sure that science is understood so that when politics come into play people can make more informed decisions.