Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Faults of Feminism

During class today we discussed what issues feminism had overlooked. I feel that feminism has overlooked a series of issues, so many in fact that feminism has no arguement at all against other IR theory. My main problem with feminism is that it doesn't put the issues into context. Feminists argues around the issue of male dominance in politics. While I won't deny that men play a stronger role in world politics, I disagree with feminists that it has to do with any sort of system or stigma keeping women down. I feel that from what I know of the feminist arguement, it is very much focused on the US prospective of politics. Many Asian countries have had female leaders, as well as central American and Argentina. Women have rule some of the most powerful countries like England, Germany and Russia, and even several countries in the middle east. The issue isn't that women can't gain these positions, but rather than they maybe aren't qualified yet. Those who have benefited from equal rights and education are not necessarily the generations that are ruling right now, or are among the first. After a few generations of women with the same educational opportunties as men, I think we will see a shift in US politics. Most of all, however, it is important to remember than most countries in the world have already made this shift.

No comments: