Thursday, October 25, 2007

Gender Discussion, Reflection, Week 8

The class discussion today made me think about what qualifies as success in feminism. After one student pointed out that we shouldn't be looking at success as political success I felt much better about feminism within the United States. It's true, the most influencial people in my life have not been political leaders. Political leaders hav ebeen influencial on my society, my rules, and my culture but not on my individual life. The most influencial people in my life have been my parents, neighbors, and teachers. For the purpose of following the same discussion, I will accept that our society sees raising children and teaching as feminist roles. Regardless of whether or not these roles were filled by men or women, it has been the "feminist" roles that have been most important to my life.

No comments: