Thursday, October 25, 2007

Say feminism three times in a row while looking in the mirror and you'll become one...try it! (Christine Porcaro, Week 9, Reflective)

Feminism seems to bring a lot of controversy along with it. With every point people might agree with there are plenty of other that people just totally reject. I really like this about feminism though. I feel that it fosters a conversation about a lot of topics that seemed to be overshadowed in regular IR discussion. I also find it interesting that people are so quick to say that they are not a feminist as if it were rare incurable disease that once caught will only mean certain death. I do not agree with all things that feminism says. But I do feel that many issues that feminism addresses (esp postcolonial feminist)are easily overlooked. When making international economic agreements to increase state profits are the rights of the poor women, men and minorities within those countries, who will be exploited, taken into consideration? Feminism helps bring to light these forgotten people. I tend to be an idealist to the point to where it becomes a downfall. I get excited about things like feminism because I view it as people helping people. It's people with many differences finding a common ground and fighting for a cause. I know it is not this glorious or always this effective but I still believe that feminism has created a new way of viewing the international system, which may seem narrow at times, but in the end atill has inspired a whole new way to view the world.

No comments: